birding-aus

Quorrobolong NSW Re-visted

To: <>
Subject: Quorrobolong NSW Re-visted
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:32:29 +1000
BIRDING NSW CENTRAL COAST GROUP ANNUAL VISIT TO QUORROBOLONG SATURDAY 30 JULY 2005

Saturday was a fine sunny winters day, perfect conditions for our trip to Quorrobolong, which Arthur & Gwen Biggs, lead each year. 22 members and friends joined them at Freemans Waterhole, west of Newcastle and our first stop was Peter and Jill Barda's property at "Big Pond" on Sandy Creek Rd Quorrobolong. We spent over an hour here both on the property and in the adjacent bushland and farmland. We saw over 22 species and enjoyed the morning tea that they unexpectedly provided for us in the outdoor summer house!. This was birding at its best! Highlights were a Collared Sparrowhawk pursued by Magpies, and 8+ Brown-headed and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters feeding in a flowering Spotted Gum, Striated Pardalote and Mistletoebird.

We then moved onto the Heaton Rd Swamps at Quorrobolong where single Royal & Yellow-billed Spoonbills were feeding, Little Grebe, 20+ Tree Martins were hawking around the usual site of a clump of Forest Red Gums, a White-necked Heron were seen and a group of Red-rumped Parrots were observed busy quarrelling over nesting holes. From here we moved to Randall Miller's property "Iomar" a known Regent Honeyeater and Swift Parrot site but alas not in 2005! During the long drive across the paddocks to Iomar, we saw a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles, Brown Falcon, Australian Pipit, Chough and Kestrel. In the Box Woodland our best birds were Yellow-tufted & Fuscous Honeyeaters, Jacky Winter, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, a pair of Dusky Woodswallows, Little Lorikeet, Fantailed Cuckoo & Brown Treecreeper. Unfortunately no trees were in flower although some Stringybarks may flower in the next month or two.

Onto Trevor & Norma's property "Oakleigh" Quorrobolong where we again were made very welcome. We lunched here on their verandah and enjoyed the most pleasant hospitality, in the mean time watching the local group of Grey-crowned Babblers building a new nest in their garden and an adult Sea-Eagle roosting on the edge of their large farm dam. A stroll around this well managed cattle farm with its fenced-off creeks and natural re-vegetation areas, after lunch found female Golden Whistler, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, more Jacky Winters, White-eared Honeyeater & Noisy Friarbird.

Our last stop was at Ellalong Lagoon where the usual waterbirds were seen and Pelican, Rainbow Lorikeet, Whistling Kite & Hardhead were added to our list. By the time we had finished for the day over 84 species were recorded. Everyone was very taken with the hospitality shown to us by our various hosts, and our leaders, Arthur & Gwen did a great job.

Alan Morris