birding-aus

Bird of prey in my backyard

To: Tom Tarrant <>
Subject: Bird of prey in my backyard
From: Jana <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:26:59 +1000

Hi Tom,

That is almost exactly where I live - up that end of West End. I guess I'm usually at work during the day, and so have never seen any of these birds around here before. I will be keeping a keener eye out for them from now on though!

Our bird has obviously decided to hang around for a bit, as I just saw it catch another pigeon in the backyard, and my flatmate has informed me that she saw it catching a bird about three days ago as well.

Cheers,
Jana.

Tom Tarrant wrote:

Hi Jana,

Until April this year I worked at Boundary St, South Brisbane (just up the road from West End Markets) and saw Brown Goshawk on a couple of occasions outside our office. Have also had Collared Sparrowhawk, Peregrine Falcon, White-bellied Sea-Eagle and late last year I had Wedge-tailed Eagles soaring over. Unfortunately (...from a birding point-of-view) we have moved to Coronation Drive, Toowong and the birding highlight is a Grey Butcherbird!

Tom Tarrant