birding-aus

Roebuck Bay Concerns

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Roebuck Bay Concerns
From: "Andrew Plimer" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:05:34 +0930

Hello Birders,

I recently returned from 2 weeks in Broome and 3 days at the Broome Bird Observatory (BBO). The BBO is a great facility with EXCELLENT staff. Ricki and her dedicated, but sadly underpaid crew, do an outstanding job. I was however appalled with how the general community (not deliberately, but perhaps unwittingly) is treating this vitally important wader hot spot.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed on Birding-Aus but I feel action is warranted.

During my stay at the BBO I saw, in the most sensitive and populated areas for birds, tonnes of rubbish on the beach, people wading through mangroves to get crabs and shellfish, 4WD’s, people fishing + dogs, random campsites, birds being disrupted by children/pets, and even the odd bit of human faeces!

I feel the community has not been made aware of Roebuck Bay’s uniqueness and that these responsibilities rest solely on the local council and state/federal government.

Not one advisory sign (quite simply, this blows my mind!!!!)has been provided for users (accept for the BBO ones) of the area indicating how important and fragile this site is or that it is a RAMSAR wetland and needs to be respected. There appears to be no patrolling or enforcing of laws by local authorities regarding camping, 4WD zones, dogs etc or any kind of public education program so that the bay can be used responsibly.

I am not saying that all human activity should be stopped, as this is not at all viable. The entire area needs to be set up however to accommodate all animals – us included. The entire beach should be pet free, certain areas need to be 4WD free, camping should be allowed in some places but strictly regulated (i.e. bins, fire places, pit toilets etc), all people should be encouraged to use the bay but understand that there is a great responsibility in doing so, and most of all, this has to be enforced.

I have written this for a number of reasons;

1)to get feedback from other people on this matter who may have witnessed similar activities at Roebuck Bay

2)ask people to discuss this issue at their next bird/environmental meeting – I will be bringing it up in general business at Birds SA

3)ask people to write/call/email/fax their concerns to the Broome Council/State MP’s, Federal MP’s and Senators – see next email for all contact details

At the moment it is a free-for-all at Roebuck Bay and this is totally unstainable.

I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts.

Cheers,

Andrew Plimer.