birding-aus

Gulf trip 6 May to 3 June 2005 - Part 2B

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Gulf trip 6 May to 3 June 2005 - Part 2B
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:24:19 +1000
Part 2B

We stayed at Matilda?s End motel for three nights in Karumba and found Little Bronze Cuckoos* feeding in the fiddlewood tree next to the road. I walked down to the ferryman?s house to book a boat trip for the next day, and found Blue-faced HE, Olive-backed Oriole and Yellow White-eyes enjoying his pawpaw fruit.

The morning boat trip with Russel Holt yielded Osprey, White-breasted Sea-eagle, Mangrove Fantail, Pelican, Brahminy Kite, Great and Intermediate Egret, Red-headed HE, White-faced Heron, White Ibis, Eastern Curlews, Whimbrel and White-breasted Whistler*. We saw several female Whistlers, before a male finally showed up with his brilliant colours. Missed out on Great-billed Heron.

We stopped at Russel Holt?s (The Ferryman) site, a tiny dam at the corner of Karumba Road and Karumba Point Road. I was looking for Star Finches, but only Double-barred Finches showed up along with Peaceful and Diamond Doves. About 100 metres back along the Karumba Road, there was a coral tree in full flower. The nectar was being enjoyed by Yellow White-eyes, Yellow-throated Miners, Little Friarbird and Yellow HEs*.  The brilliant plumage of the Yellow HEs looked fantastic against the red flowers.

There was a good range of waterbirds in the shallow pools at the end of Karumba Point road on the right including a flock of Marsh Sandpipers. The track between the airstrip and the beach was lovely, with lots of good little stopping places all along. The tide was high, pushing the birds onto rocks and the edge of the sand or mud. We saw Straw-necked Ibis, 6 Grey-tailed Tattlers, about 20 Eastern Curlews, 20 Marsh Sandpipers, 1 Whimbrel, 8 Black-winged Stilts, 10 Red-capped Plovers. 8 White-faced Heron, 1 Great Egret, and 4 Golden Plovers. There are low bushes, fences and a few pandanus along there, where we saw Black-faced Wood-swallow, Willy Wagtail, Mistletoe Bird, Blue-winged Kookaburra, Yellow White-eyes, and White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes as well as several raptors, Whistling and Black Kites, Brown Falcon(they have very dark plumage up here compared with the Central Australian ones) and a Brown Goshawk.

At the South end of Yappa Street, we found Australian Bustards, Red-tailed Black Cockatoos and a solitary Rainbow Lorikeet flew over.

We stopped to check out the Fitzgerald River camping area between Normanton and Cloncurry on the Matilda Highway ? some nice secluded camping spots there and the area seemed pretty clean. A Red-browed Pardalote was calling, We also saw Weebills, Apostle Birds, Rufous Whistler, Willie Wagtail, Red-backed Fairy-wren, Double-barred Finch, Magpie Larks, Peaceful Dove and Crimson Chats.