birding-aus

Idalia NP Trip Report

Subject: Idalia NP Trip Report
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:38:45 +1000
I'm just back from a 6 day work trip to Idalia National Park.  Its in
western Queensland about 80km SW of Blackall.  Recent rains had left a
flush of green and some standing water but the impact of a series of dry
years was very apparent.  In paticular large macropods,like Wallaroos
were in low numbers.  Bird numbers also seemed low and I only saw a few
of most species, but there was reasonable diversity.  I had two target
species Hall's Babbler and Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush.

I was told Hall's Babbler was easy to find and while I didn't have much
specific birding time I did cover many kilometres of the park's roads
over 4 days without seeing Hall's Babbler.  Partiesof Grey-crowned
did get me excited a few times. I was getting nervous until on the 5th
morning I saw 3 groups within 10 minutes!

This was in mixed woodland on a track which runs from the south end of
the airstrip roughly east past a small conical hill towards the park
office/visitors centre.  After maybe 1 km it finishes at a track which
runs from the dam behind the park office maybe 500m south of the dam.

I was shown a pair of Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush that a colleague
came across when inspecting a Spotted Bowerbird bower (thanks James!)
This was in a sparse vegetated fairly stony area immediately adjoining
the north end of the airstrip (West side).  I also disturbed one along
the track described above when approaching a party of Hall's Babbler.
This was a much more vegetated area.  The thin high-pitched call is
easy to miss.

The park bird list includes Rufous-throated Emu-wren and Spinifex Pigeon
so presumably there is some interesting habitat in areas of the park I
didn't get to.

I also saw two new mammals.  There is a population of  Bridled Nailtail
Wallabies at Idalia founded from individuals relocated from its only
(known) population.  They have held on through the dry years and were
easily seen by spotlighting along roads within a few kms of the park
office.  QPWS's decision to no longer have a ranger permenantly located
at Idalia can't be good news for this critically endangered species.

I also saw the absolutely gorgeous and also endangered Yellow-footed
Rock-wallaby.  The colony we visited was in the north of the park and
involved some less than perfect tracks.  I gather there are some easier
to visit locations for the wallaby within the park.  There seemed to be
good numbers of the yellow-foots presumably due to the control of foxes,
dogs and goats.  Again you have to wonder if this will be less effective
without a permanent ranger.

Andrew Taylor