birding-aus

Looking for the 'Brisbane' Queensland Pacific Gull?

To: <>
Subject: Looking for the 'Brisbane' Queensland Pacific Gull?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:15:23 +1000
Hi SE Queenslanders,

If anyone within striking distance of Brisbane is considering looking for Greg Andersen's Pacific Gulls on the Redcliffe Peninsula this coming weekend, or anytime really, it could be worthwhile noting that these particular birds seem to have a taste for fish and chips. So, if the birds are not around the boat-ramp on Queen's Beach, Scarborough, check out the areas where people are likely to be feeding the other gulls such as Scarborough Beach in the Scarborough village. Tom Tarrant and I were able to take advantage of the cravings of one of the Pac Gulls for chips at that beach today, Wed 13 July, and managed to get some very close-up and personal photos as a result. No, we didn't do the chip-feeding but a very patient and co-operative local citizen did.

Tom and I saw one bird at Redcliffe Point and watched it disappear towards the direction of the Woody Point Jetty; we didn't follow that one but, instead, found the other bird at Scarborough Beach mid-afternoon.
All of the locations mentioned above can be found on maps 82, 91 and 92 of the
Brisbane UBD Refidex.

Just remember that those locations are very popular with 'day-trippers' on the weekends and the traffic can be hectic along some of the narrow roads.

Good luck.

Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland