birding-aus

Scarlet Honeyeaters in the Sydney Region,NSW

To: <>
Subject: Scarlet Honeyeaters in the Sydney Region,NSW
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:59:53 +1000
Hi Birders

There once was a time when I thought that Scarlet Honeyeaters were summer migrants to the Sydney/Central Coast Region. But that was before I moved to the Central Coast and came to live near patches of Swamp Mahogany which flower in Autumn & winter, generally from April to August, and found that Scarlet Honeyeaters where a major nectar feeder of them.

When the Swamp Mahogany finishes flowering the Forest Red Gums come in to flower July-Sep, the Bottle Brushes flower mainly August-November, various other trees flower Sep-Dec including Blue Gum, the Blackbutt Flower Dec-Mar, and the Bloodwood flowers Feb-Apr, and the Spotted Gum Mar-Jul. Scarlet Honeyeaters feed in all these trees and so I found that they are present here all year round although the numbers may vary.

Like Edwin, I also became more in tune with their calls, and their winter calls, are only short, sharp, high pitch contact calls which previously I overlooked or thought that they were something else. These calls are possibly inaudible to most men over 50, and probably to older women, and so the bird can be present but overlooked.

Certainly it is not a migrant.

Alan Morris