birding-aus

RFI Bunya NP

Subject: RFI Bunya NP
From: "Daniel Mantle" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:26:13 +0100

Hi Tim,

I was in the Bunya Mountains last weekend and failed to see the Sooty Owl(s) there. They certainly weren't roosting in the tree reported in T&T whilst I was there. I did hear one bird right beside the National Park carpark but couldn't spotlight the bird. I heard this bird within a minute of leaving the car but didn't hear anything else even though I spent several hours in the park over the next two nights. I spoke to a local naturalist who had seen remains of a kill below the T&T tree and thought the birds might be using a roost on one of the NP tracks that is closed to the public but near to the carpark. So the birds are probably still in the area but good luck with finding them.

If you do find them or if anyone else on birding-aus has any ideas on seeing Sooty Owls there or closer to Brisbane could they let me know. I have also heard them at the site near Mount Glorious several times but they continue to frustrate and not show themselves to me.

Thankfully have had much more luck recently with Grass Owls, Powerful Owls and Boobooks around Brisbane.

Cheers Dan