birding-aus

Capertee Valley: sensational

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Capertee Valley: sensational
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:15:50 +1000 (EST)

I was lucky enough to spend 1.5 hours in the birding paradise (as many of you know) Capertee Valley (north-west of the Blue Mountains, New South Wales) on the weekend.

The weather was overcast but during some sunny spells several new species were observed many feeding on flowering eucalypts.

New species seen included Dusky Woodswallow, Crested Shrike-tit, Grey-crowned Babbler, Fuscous Honeyeater, Spotted Pardalote, Little Lorikeet and the Hooded Robin.

Three new Finches seen in the same spot (on the side of the road about 2kms from where the dirt road starts heading to Glen Davis). Diamond Firetails, Double-barred Finch and Plum-headed Finch all taking turns to feed in grass near the almost empty dam before flying back to the nearby black berry bush.

On the other side of the road in longer grass was the common and Red-browed Finch which I have seen in numerous habitats previously.

Both Ainslie and I were impressed with seeing four finches / firetails in the one location in a 20 minute sitting!

On the way back from Glen Davis (our furthest point) we again stopped to observe Noisy Friarbirds being noisy and several thirsty Red-rumped Parrots drinking from a puddle together with another Diamond Firetail and several Fuscous Honeyeaters.

No sign if the Regent!

Regards,

Charles Hunter

Kings Cross, Sydney

Do you Yahoo!?
Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!