birding-aus

Blackface

To: <>
Subject: Blackface
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:25:05 +1000

To add my two cents worth to this discussion, as an optimist I would like to think Tim?s view would in fact change average Joe?s understanding. However if you take a couple of ?well-known? birds and analyse their part in the culture of Australia, I think little will change. If the Emu had not played such a part in our heritage would it have been as recognisable as it is to most Australians? In Brisbane around 80% of the population has never been further west than Gatton ? therefore one can assume that at most 20% may have seen an Emu in the wild (of course many would have seen them in nature parks and the like). If the Emu had some longer winded name such as Australian Ostrich or Long-legged Plains Runner (pluckin them out of .......) would it be as recognisable. If the Kookaburra was called Broad-billed Kingfisher would it still be an Aussie icon. The Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike is probably more prevelant in most back yards than the Kookaburra (certainly where I live) but those who would claim to recognise the BFCS would probably call it a Blue-Jay (as David Geering mentioned). Most people in Brisbane recognise an Ibis as they have become pest-like especially in the CBD. Twenty years ago I am not so sure that so many Brisvagians would have known an Ibis from and egret.

I guess my point of view that it is more about the impact on one?s lives rather than the names themselves that has the most influence. The comment about black and white birds being Magpies by Alistair Smith is another good example. The Magpie is another icon (look how many footy teams are named after it), but a lot of people would see a Pied Butcher-Bird and think it was a Magpie.

Maybe primary-level education is the key (but good luck given the state systems of education and the localised database of common names as already mentioned.)

Perhaps what would be most interesting in this area and may be a good starting point is for the compilation of all the known common names of Australian birds across all regions.

Cheers

peter

Email from:
Peter Johnson
Intouch Data
Unit 2 79 Vulture Street
West End QLD 4101
t: + 61 (0)7 3255 0401
f: + 61 (0)7 3255 0403
m: 0418 743 515
e:
w: www.intouchdata.com
The information contained in this email message is confidential and is intended for the recipient(s) as named only. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any use, copying or disclosure of this email and/or attachments is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have erroneously received this email please notify the sender per the contact details above. This email should then be deleted and removed permanently. Thank you.