birding-aus

Blacknecked Jabiru.

To: <>
Subject: Blacknecked Jabiru.
From: "Michael Hunter" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:50:02 +1000
Sorry folks,
                 I couldn't resist this one.
                 Local or common names are what the locals use. They often
have "romantic" connotations and conjure up visions of faraway places.
"Jabiru" is a Portugese word used as common name for a South American bird.
Raven is an English word used as common name for a European bird.
                 Could any of the pedants out there please explain why
"Australian Jabiru" should be less acceptable than "Australian Raven", (one
example among many) as common name for our Australian Stork, shortened in
everyday parlance to "Jabiru".
                  Black-necked Stork is one of the least evocative names
that our Jabiru could be lumbered with. Australian birding is the less for
its adoption.

                                                  Cheers
                                                          Michael

Michael Hunter