birding-aus

Blackface

To: "'Tim Low'" <>, <>
Subject: Blackface
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:16:17 +1000

Tim

I think it is an admirable suggestion, but how do you think we could get all birders to adopt the same common name.  Just think of the common names in use at the moment, such as Magpie Lark, Murray Magpie, PeeWee for the same bird.  Not everyone subscribes to Birding-aus or reads Wingspan.  Even if you could get a proposed set of names “out there” there would likely be a fairly large degree of argument, disagreement, alternatives for names that are proposed.  I like Blackface for the BFCS, but also for the Masked Woodswallow.  And Rainbow could be great for Rainbow Lorikeet, but also for Rainbow Bee-eater and even for Eastern Rosella!

I still think it’s a good idea, to simplify names and get “Joe/Jill public” to relate to birds more easily, but how practical??

Bob Cook

Mildura VIC