birding-aus

Eaglehawk pelagic SUNDAY 26th June 2005

Subject: Eaglehawk pelagic SUNDAY 26th June 2005
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:31:21 -0700 (PDT)

Eaglehawk Pelagic SUNDAY 26TH June 2005 Trip Report

Location: Eaglehawk, Tasmania, Australia.

Conditions

Sea: .5m

Weather: Sunshine all day

Wind: 15-25knots

Time: Depart Eaglehawk jetty about 7.20am return 1.30pm.

Boat: Tasman Sea Charters

This report covers day 2 (Sunday) of two sperate days at sea on the weekend of the 25/26th June 2005.

Ten interstate seabirders met Damian, the owner of Tasman Sea Charters at the Jetty at 7am and we departed under clear skies.

The first pelagic birds seen were Black-faced Cormorant and Pacific and Kelp Gulls.  We headed directly south-east and soon crossed the shelf.  After starting our chumming we soon attracted Shy, Yellow-nosed, Black-browed and several Buller?s Albatross to our slick.

A distant Northern Royal Albatross refused to come in close and several glimpses of storm petrels along way down the slick proved frustrating.  Cape Petrel numbers eventually grew to five and these birds stayed close behind the boat the remainder of the day.  Buller?s Albatross numbered about 15 and many of these came very close allowing some good photography opportunities.

Common Diving Petrels were numerous all day and just prior to lunch we were visited by both Northern and Southern Royal Albatross as well as a Solander?s Petrel which didn?t hang around for long.  Northern Giant Petrel, Great-winged Petrel, Short-tailed Shearwater, Australasian Gannet and Crested Tern stayed with the boat for a few hours but most stayed their distance.

A White-headed Petrel was seen twice but this also refused to come any closer to the boat.  Generally seabird numbers were very low over both days.

Regards

Richard Baxter

Newcastle

Yahoo! Sports