birding-aus

Re: Birding in and around Perth

To: Hendrik Reers <>
Subject: Re: Birding in and around Perth
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:40:32 +0800

Hendrik Reers asked:
> I'm a german birdwatcher and biology student and going
> to visit Australia for the first time. I will have a
> stopover in Perth for a few days from 13.-17. July,
> before heading north to Broome by plane. I'm thinking
> about doing a day trip to Rottnest Island to see some
> pelagics. Are there any chances of seeing?
> Also I'm looking for birding sites in Perth and nearby
> that offer a high diversity of bird species.

You won't see many pelagics (if any) on the trip to Rottnest.  Rottnest might still be worth visiting for Banded Stilt, Red-capped Robin, Banded Lapwing, Roseate Tern, Pied Oystercatcher, Sacred Kingfisher, etc.

Perth has excellent wetlands.  I recommend Lake Monger (SW corner), Herdsman Lake (Maurice Hamer Reserve in SW, and Floreat Waters in W), Lake Joondalup (W and S), Bibra Lake (W), Bayswater Bird Sanctuary, Alfred Cove (look in salt marsh for Buff-banded Rail), etc.

Bold Park is an interesting area of bushland.  Try about half way along Perry Lakes Drive.

Just out of Perth off the Albany Highway is Gleneagle Rest Area where many of the endemics and near endemics can be found.  Try around the rest area, and then across the road along the walk trail.  The lawn at Wungong Gorge is worth a check for Scarlet Robin and a chance of Red-eared Firetail.  Bungendore State Forest is also worth a look.

It is worth a day trip to Dryandra State Forest (2 hours from Perth).  Try along Tomingley Road at a number of places including the Old Mill Dam, and maybe the Ochre Trail and Arboretum.  Also across the road at the back of the cottages in the village for Bush Stone-curlew.  The dam on Kawana Road is also worth a look.  Stop for a short while at Pumphrey's Bridge on the way there or the way back.

If you don't want to go to Dryandra, then try the wandoo woodland on Collins Road off the Brookton Highway, about 90 minutes from Perth.  Stop at the sweeping left hand bend.

The Mandurah area has a lot of areas that could be worth a visit if you have extra time.

A trip up the coast to Lancelin (about 2 hours) can be worthwhile for a few different species.  Check along the coast, Lancelin Island, and the heathland.

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email : -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to