birding-aus

Grasswrens

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Grasswrens
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:16:39 +1000
Though I have only seen 3 species of Grasswrens so far (White-throated,
Thick-billed and Striated. I have not yet been to the areas where the
others occur as yet), it could be they are easier to see at certain
times of year/conditions. My Thick-billed Grasswrens were easy to see at
Monkey Mia in WA(I saw them running in front of me in the car park there
before I was able to park the car. I am sure similar experiences have
been experienced by others at this location) and have had the
White-throated Grasswrens even follow me at Gunlom. The Striated took a
while to see though. Sometimes if you just sit down quietly in an area
(no need for tape playback) and with patience they just suddenly appear
(my encounter with a Western Whipbird at Two Peoples Bay WA happened by
just doing that. At one stage, it was a metre or so in front of my nose
just quietly picking off bits of bark from a mallee tree, unconcerned of
my presence durng that time. All this occurred while waiting for the
Noisy Scrubbirds to appear. I have heard several birdos having similar
experiences with elusive birds without play back or walking around
looking for them.

Edwin