birding-aus

Song Sleuth

To: <>
Subject: Song Sleuth
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:37:58 +1000

I find it rather interesting that some, in this forum, with an obvious axe to grind or agenda to push see fit to stand on their soap box and scoff at this or that comment simply because it may differ from their view.

I have no vested interest in Song Sleuth and wouldn?t be particularly interested in purchasing one if an Australian version was available. I highlighted it to this forum simply because it was a piece of technology designed for birders (or at least I think it is), not whale watchers, motor racing enthusiasts just birders. I also thought that perhaps it had been designed to fill a void, a void that was perhaps highlighted by birders.

The real problem with many groups of individuals with narrow interests (in our cases birding) is that often perceptions are formed by those outside who may not have the same level of interest. If our egos or vested interests preclude others from participating at any level we may be leaving ourselves vulnerable to criticism or preclude others from joining. Knowledge is a powerful tool but lack of knowledge can be a real barrier to entry especially when you have others scoffing at you from inside the group.

The Song Sleuth is not an inexpensive device and on that basis I would think it is aimed squarely at birders. On the other hand if somebody with a remote interest in birding purchases one and is able to distinguish a crow from a currawong or a starling from a blackbird and therefore gains more knowledge, who knows he or she may gain more confidence. With confidence one grows in all sorts of directions. Another bird enthusiast is not a bad thing, is it ?

To me Birding-Aus is a forum for all those that have an interest in birds. You may be right Phillip, the Song Sleuth may just be drivel, mind you 12 months ago voice-recognition software wasn?t much chop ? I rang Telstra yesterday and was amazed that I could talk and have a problem solved by speaking down the phone line to a piece of software.  On the other hand not all of us are comfortable in discussions on taxonomy or the scientific side of the sport. I am just as happy to watch a Pee Wee in the backyard all day. Perhaps if there?s a forum for people at my level you could direct me to it?

Cheers

Peter