birding-aus

Sooty Owl taxonomy

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Sooty Owl taxonomy
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:51:48 +1000
Hi birders,
I was reading that excellent new book "Owls-Journeys around the World" by David Hollands, and I notice he has a footnote dated 2004 which states that according to DNA work Lesser Sooty and Sooty are the same species-groan! Now there I was thinking the New Guinea ones should be split as well!
Does anyone know the source he was referring to?
Likewise, when is a new Official checklist for Australian Birds being published? I know the late Jim Clements used the 1994 one as his guideline, so in his checklist the taxonomy of our birds is well out of date, a constant irritation with tour groups, it would be so nice to have a new yardstick. It is fun to see how each of the revisions of the 4 major guides uses a different taxonomy, basically you get more ticks with Slater and Simpson and Day! Could be the Sooty Owls will further muddy the waters.
Phil Gregory
www.cassowary-house.com.au