birding-aus

Tampling birdos and villains

Subject: Tampling birdos and villains
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:57:02 +1000
Hi birders,

In case there is any confusion as to the meaning of my last post, let me
make things as clear as possible.  I don't want to tampa erroneously!

In no way am I suggesting that commercial birders are by nature
unethical: far from it!  I have absolutely no grounds to suggest that
any commercial operators have caused distress to any bird species in
this area or any other, and had no intention of doing so with my
posting. I am writing from the point of view of someone with a
passionate non-commercial (at this stage!) interest in birding, and I
will stick by my principles to the death.  I live in the Newcastle area
and with respect to questions of habitat and birding we, humans and
nonhumans, face some serious issues regarding native vegetation
clearance right now that will have serious implications for ALL now and
into the future.

Yes there are major problems when it comes to questions about impacts of
birding that involve non-commercial, individual types, and yes these
situations are difficult to manage.  These people are punters too, and
by that I mean persons with any kind of stake in questions of birds and
birding however defined.  It is not meant in any derogatory way to any
party, merely a word I use to describe all people with any kind of
interest in a matter.  But these issues - to do with individuals and
commercial operators - are dwarfed by the concerns held my many people
in this region regarding proposals for extensive "greenfields" type
property development.

As I said in my posting, making a start to debating best practice is my
aim so let us all go from there.

cheers

Craig Williams