birding-aus

Swifties in the Hunter!

Subject: Swifties in the Hunter!
From: "steve roderick" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:07:48 +1000

Alan,

 Yes it probably is Abedare S.F., theres a bit of confusion as to what it is called. If you head out of town from Cessnock you will pass under a rail bridge just outside of Bellbird. Heading up the hill you will take the turn "Ellalong, Pelton", drive another 800m's and there is a track into the forest on the left, opposite the last house. It will have a sign, Pelton Rd. it is yellow. Head down this track about 150m's and you will come to a left hand turn. From here down this left hand turn until you hit a watercourse, about 300m's is where all the Swifts have been.If you go down this left track the Swifts have been on the right side. The Regents were in E. fibrosa, half way down the hill to the watercourse. I was here last Monday and saw 20+ and then here last wednesday and saw only 5 birds, although this was in the middle of the day. The flower is disappearing fast, I think the birds are too. I have had the highest counts in the afternoon. My guess is that they could still be around the area, just wherever the next blossoming occurs. There is still alot of Spotted Gum in bud.