birding-aus

RFI - Black-necked Stork article

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI - Black-necked Stork article
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:25:13 +1000
Hi all,

Recently a bird watching friend passed away and his daughter sent me two items from his personal belongings.  One was a birdlist from a trip that he did to northern and inland Australia and the other was an article on the Black-necked Stork, torn out of a magazine or booklet. The family wasn't able to identify the source of the article. As I am researching the stork towards a PhD I am interested to know the details of the author, the date published and the magazine.  I suspect that it is not very recent but apart from using the common name 'Jabiru' and the former scientific name Xenorhynchus asiaticus, it is remarkably well written considering the general lack of knowledge about the species.

The title of the article is 'The Lonely Jabiru - Australia's elusive stork'.  It is on page 15 and has two subheadings - 'usually seen alone' and 'Aboriginal mythology'.  There is no journal/magazine title or date anywhere on the two pages that I have and there is no author's name shown.  On the reverse side of the text is an article titled 'Father of Australia Joseph Banks' again without an author's name.  On page 14 there are two wonderful photos of storks, one a male and one a female.  On the reverse are photos of wildlflowers. It may be some type of tourism booklet or similar.

I would like to hear from anyone who may be able to shed light on this document.

Thanks

Greg