birding-aus

Major Mitchell Cockatoo still at You Yangs

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Major Mitchell Cockatoo still at You Yangs
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:17:00 +1000
After Shirley Cameron's posting I had to go and have a look.
At about 3.30 pm today there was a mixed flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Long-billed Corellas and Galahs in a paddock next to Drysdale Road (very close to the edge of the You Yangs Park, 50+ km SW of Melbourne). The 140+ birds were in trees, flying about and eating on the ground with some cattle (also Aus Magpies, Common Starlings and House Sparrows nearby). No Major Mitchell. Then suddenly it made a grand entry, flying straight over me with a SC Cockie that was harassing it. The Major Mitchell flew down and mingled with the birds on the ground, eating and in full view for a quarter of an hour or so while I was there and was still there when I left. Lots of bush birds in the You Yangs today, too. Beautiful day, great to be out and about.
Cheers,
Merrilyn