birding-aus

Chestnut Teal ID assistance

To: <>
Subject: Chestnut Teal ID assistance
From: "Annie & Greg" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:42:40 +1000

Recently on a trip to Carnarvon Station, a Bush Heritage Fund Reserve in Central Qld Highlands approx 200km NW of Roma, for the 5 days that we were there three of us birdos saw what looked like one lonely Teal mixed in with a group of about 12 Australian Wood Ducks on a largish dam.  The bird in question was markedly smaller then the Wood Ducks and  appeared to have an overall brownish tinge with what appeared to be a Chestnut/rusty spot on the chest which was most obvious in the late afternoon sun, even over  the 50 odd metres that we viewed the duck.  The colourations were more like the female Baikal as illustrated in Slaters, but presumably that would not be possible.

Does the female, or imm Male, Chestnut teal have more colour in them than the guide books indicate and is there any chest markings as in the duck we saw, which was very obvious.

None of us had a scope so no close views were obtainable for better ID of highlights.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Neill