birding-aus

You Yangs Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: You Yangs Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:41:11 +1000
Today the  Werribee Wagtails had their regular monthly outing, this month to the You Yangs. 22 of us  entered the You Yangs from Drysdale Road which brought us into the dam area. Mnay members are comparatively new to birding, some just come for teh social outing but there are some serious 'birders'.   We had some excellent sightings, Spiny-cheek honeyeater,  and Hooded Robin were great.
We then came back along Drysdale Road and there were a flock of Corellas and some Galahs on the road, I was driving very slowly , I stopped to make sure all the cars could see the Corellas and then proceeded, to my utter amazement as the Corellas took off I could clearly see one had very bright pink under the wings and it had a large pink crest( no yellow visible). I stopped very quickly,  the driver of the second car exclaimed MAJOR MITCHELL!!!!  We had both seen Major's on previous occasions.  I guess it could be a vagrant!  It was certailnly very different from teh other birds.
I almost hesitate putting this up as I doubt that anyone will believe it.  Mildura is a long way from Werribee and the back of the You Yangs is not really mallee!   We waited around for a while but the flock did not return.
Here is our complete bird list.

Australian Wood Duck

Straw-necked Ibis

Black -shouldered kite