birding-aus

Any Recommendations on North American Field Guides?

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Any Recommendations on North American Field Guides?
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 09:07:06 -0500
Hi all

Having lived in North America for the last several years, I suggest your best bet would be the National Geographic Society "Field Guide to the Birds of North America". It is compact, comprehensive and does a good overall job. The National Audubon Society "The Sibley Guide to Birds" has a rather different emphasis but I think it would be less useful overall to a newcomer. If you really want to get into it you should get both. I wouldn't bother with the photographic guides except as additions. They can be useful for showing actual photos, but the photos are often deceptive and are best used as providing extra information when you come up with a problem ID, which often happens in this part of the world. Unfortunately, when that happens, any number of photos are unlikely to resolve your problem. What you then need is more experience, or help from someone who really knows the issue well.

Chris Corben