birding-aus

Gloucester birds and Butterflies

To: "" <>
Subject: Gloucester birds and Butterflies
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 20:15:02 +1000
Dar Birders

Yesterday drove west and north out of Gloucester NSW to investigate some of the side roads, usually marked No Through Road. Most of the drive was through cleared forest now mainly beef grazing, with the odd patch of original temp.rainforest in drainage lines and isolated large trees, farm buildings, cattle and a few sheep. At one spot in a creek line with some old trees on Boulliac Road West, just west of the Barrington River, I stopped to do a 20min Atlas and was amazed to find a host of Wanderer Butterflies. Below a small group of old Broad-leafed White Mahoganys in the creek line, was a mass of milkweed Asclepias sp. In and on the trees above this were 100s of Wanderers, fluttering and stationery (not quite as dense as the numbers one sees in photographs of them wintering in Mexico, but getting on that way), hanging from the foliage, fluttering everywhere, shining in the late afternoon sun. It was just pure joy to watch them.

There were birds there too! Jacky Winter, Willies, rosellas, 3 Stubble Quail, Yellow-rumped and Buff-rumped thornbills, White-throated Gerygones, Grey Fantail, Striated Pardalote, BFCS and a Kestrel, all in this bare hillycountry. And further on half an hour later, a Peregrine Falcon sitting on a fence post.

We are fortunate in this area as we've had our usual autumn rain so the country is looking good, grass deep and green but turning blond now that winter is upon us. Rivers are running full with clear water and the local canoe outlets are busy with visitors. Honeyaters (yellow-faced/white-naped) are still migrating north and Pied Currawings have come down from the hills to upset the resident Little Ravens in the valleys. I do feel for those over the other side of the range who are still hoping for some rain.