birding-aus

Re: [BIRDING-NZ] NZ BIRDS WHERE TO FIND...

To: "S and A Chambers" <>, "Kiwi Wildlife Tours" <>, "Birding NZ" <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-NZ] NZ BIRDS WHERE TO FIND...
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:30:54 +1000
Hi all
I would like to offer a 'latest opinion' on the value and use of the
celebrated 'Chambers', if I may.
I have just returned this week from a three week solo driving birding
holiday in NZ. When I set off I determined I was interested in the
endemics and natives. I have seen most of the introduced species
elsewhere and was happy to catch up on them whenever, but not actively
seek them out.
I have to admit - I borrowed a copy of 'Chambers' and feel guilty now
that I didn't purchase my own.
I had read the emailed comments regarding the book prior to going and it
was with some trepidation that I began to refer to it, as, according to
some commentators, it was 'out of date' and 'unreliable'.
I have to say that I found both these comments incorrect in the main
and, using the book the way I suspect Mr C intended, found it extremely
useful and accurate.
As a visitor I had no way of knowing where possible birding spots may be
located and in NZ there is a lot of cleared and private land limiting
the birding spots considerably. I accepted - as we all should - that
when someone says 'Yellowhead may be found here" one does not take it
literally. Where would be the challenge if it was so? Would any of you
out there guarantee a specific bird at a specific spot on a specific
day? I think not! What I did find was the book accurately described
birding 'spots' and how to get there. I could then decide whether it was
worth the trip or not. in most cases I located the 'spot' quickly and
easily and then commenced looking for the bird or birds. I was not
always successfull, but did have some luck along the way. For example I
found Gertrude Valley and walked in for an hour or so looking for Rock
Wren - no luck, but I could see I was in the right environment, it just
wasn't to be my day. (the little bugger still eludes me!)
If I had a problem with the information the only thing I would like to
see added would be some detail on distance. Let me use Rock Wren as an
example again.
I went to Glenorchy and drove to the end of the Routeburn Track as
described - it would have helped to know it was 26 kms from Glenorchy
and 18 of those were unsealed. The book description is as follows "Soon
after crossing the river Rock Wrens may be encountered in rock garden
areas when weather is good". I crossed the suspension bridge and walked
thru the forest for about 20 minutes wondering when 'soon' would come! I
was not prepared for a hike in rough, relatively remote, terrain so
returned to the car park and checked the map board (maybe I should have
done so before I set out, however...). From what I could see the
earliest exposed rock gardens were about one and a half hour's walk in.
I know that that distance may be 'soon' if you're walking the whole 4
day track, but it's not really 'soon' if you are dropping in to try to
find a bird! At this stage I was not prepared to devote 4+ hours to a
walk so I abandoned the search and moved on. Please understand this is
not a negative, but possibly a suggested improvement? If I had known
what was involved I would have been able to make a decision earlier and
may not have gone to Glenorchy at all, however, I probably would have
given it a go and may have been successfull. Still with Rock Wren (!) I
went to Arthur's Pass and tried to find the track to Lake Misery. "After
the top of the Pass look for a pull-in area on the left with an
information board and map for Lake Misery" (the description then
contains walking times and advice) I drove over the pass twice and went
half way down the Otira gorge (western) side looking for Lake Misery and
never did find it! I was starting to run out of fuel by the time I gave
up and at $1.38 a litre in the Pass had to accept defeat. I wonder how
far past the top of the Pass it was? or did I just miss it somehow? (I
tried Dobson's Nature walk with no success).
As I said these examples should not be construed as an overall lack of
information. The book is full of great stuff and when (not if, when!) I
go again I'll get my own copy. Promise!
(Incidentally I did end up with 49 lifers and a total list of 102
species which I was very happy with and I am writing a trip report for
those who may be interested)
Thanks again, Stuart, for your work and the help it gave me and I hope
you feel you can offer your assitance to any future work of this type.
(Alison - I didn't get to Pureora forest, I'm afraid, I took a wrong
turn and ended up at Kuratau Junction instead so I don't know what
colour the NI Kakas are! Maybe next time!)

Colin Reid
Brisbane, Australia

"So many birds, so little time...."

--