birding-aus

Re: RFI Coral Coast Birding WA

Subject: Re: RFI Coral Coast Birding WA
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:12:38 +0800
Judith Hoyle asked about where to find the following species along the Coral Coast (Carnarvon to Exmouth) in WA.

>Flock Bronzewing - This would be very rare indeed this far
down.

>Chiming Wedgebill - Very common from about Billabong Roadhouse north
in the mulga.

>Spinifex Bird - I have found this at Shothole Canyon south of
Exmouth, but I heard recently that it had been burnt.  Check any
area with tall (thigh to waist high) thick spinifex.

>Rufous-crowned Emu-wren - Has been recorded in Cape Range, but I
failed to find it in several areas of suitable habitat.

>Pilbara form of Striated Grasswren - Same story.  Still haven't
found this species in WA yet. Karijini area is the best.

>Dusky Warbler - Fair chance in any mangroves north of New Beach
(about 30km or so south of Carnarvon). Best chance is Mangrove Bay near
Exmouth, but try New Beach, and Carnarvon Port.

>Slender-billed Thornbill - Best chance in WA is at New Beach.
Look for tallest samphire close to mangroves. Look for tail band in
flight.

>Slaty-backed Thornbill - I haven't seen this in this area, but I
haven't really looked for it. Check areas of mulga, especially the mulga
with reddish trunks and greyish stringy bark.

>Star Finch - Check Chinaman's Pool in Carnarvon

>Painted Firetail - I don't know a good area, but it is a chance near
rocky areas. I got lucky once in that area when a few flew across the
road.

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email : -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to