birding-aus

Bassian Thrush

To: <>
Subject: Bassian Thrush
From: "Andrew Plimer" <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:51:29 +0930
Hi Birders,

Good news for those who love the Bassian Thrush (who doesn't really).
Last August I found a nesting pair close to the Mt Lofty lookout in
Adelaide and watched them over a 3 week period raise a healthy brood of
two. I have returned regularly to this site but have had no luck. That
was until Friday 13th (they're obviously not superstitious) when I heard
two birds calling to each other. Their call is very hard to pick and
easily overlooked. I managed to find them and got good views of both
feeding in the leaf litter.

The Bassian thrush is one of many threatened birds (hooded robin,
restless flycatcher, brown treecreeper etc) in the Mount Lofty Ranges,
with the usual reasons of land clearance, introduced weeds and predators
being the cause. Hopefully these two will be successful breeders again
in August/September.

Cheers,
Andrew Plimer.