birding-aus

Ebor Area: Point Lookout, Cathedral Rocks

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Ebor Area: Point Lookout, Cathedral Rocks
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 22:13:07 +1000
Hello all,

I've recently returned from a few days up around the Ebor area (north-east of Armidale on the Waterfall Way) on the New England Tableland of NSW. Lost about a day with fairly constant rain on the Point Lookout Road to New England NP. What made this amazing was that only a short distance further west the widespread NSW drought was in evidence with most of the falls like Wollomombi Falls being bone dry. New England NP is perched at the edge of the escarpment of the Great Dividing Range (mostly over 1300 metres) and so picks up a lot of rain that doesn't make it further west.

I didn't see a great diversity of birds in the cold, wet and often windy conditions. I visited the Point Lookout area in New England NP a few times but it was in cloud and rain at all times so there were no views to be had. Despite the weather there were a few things of interest, and I took a fair few photos which I'll get onto my website in time:

New England NP (mostly Thungutti Rest Area)- 4/5 to the 6/5/05. Large-billed Scrubwren, White-eared Honeyeater, Superb Lyrebird and a very healthy looking Spotted-tailed Quoll which was probably the highlight of the trip.

Cunnawarra NP (Kempsey Rd)- 5/5/05. Greater Glider.

Point Lookout Rd (Styx River Camping Area)- 5/5/05. a lovely little family of of Red-browed Treecreeper.

Point Lookout Rd (Spring Creek Crossing)- 6/5/05. Large numbers of Red Wattlebirds, Eastern Spinebills, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, White-eared Honeyeaters, White-naped Honeyeaters and Lewin's Honeyeaters feeding on flowering Banksia integrifolia. Also here were Red-browed Treecreeper, Red-browed Finch (immatures among the good flocks), Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Varied Sittella, Brown Cuckoo-dove among others. This spot was alive with birds, very high density. It was a roadside remnant with the adjacent paddocks mostly cleared. Yaraandoo Eco Lodge- 6/5/05. This stylishly constructed building that provides accommodation, conference venue and restaurant is situated on the Point Lookout Rd and is surrounded by healthy looking forest. I didn't spend much time looking for birds here (the weather was bad and time was short) but I'm sure it would have a good diversity of birds. There are a couple of other points of interest here. There is a large enclosed area of forest with Rufous Bettongs (I didn't actually see them as I didn't stay overnight). Also they have a pair of Masked Owls in an aviary that are flight disadvantaged. Both are road casualties and cannot fly, the male has had one wing removed. This pair has successfully bred year after year in a large hollow log provided in the aviary. The female is probably sitting on eggs at the moment. The male is very protective of the nestlog. The young are released into the wild each year. According to Colin, last years young-un didn't make it, but a male from a couple of years ago is still getting seen so some make it. Obviously its a big step for a young owl to make the jump from provided food to having to find their own prey. I heartily recommend visiting the centre and taking a look at the owls- you may never get closer to a Masked Owl!

Cathedral Rock NP (Barokee Rest Area and Cathedral Rock circuit track)- 6/5/05-7/5/05. Most of this area that I saw is recovering from fire but a small patch in the Barokee Camping Area had remained unburnt and was alive with wildlife). I've never seen so many Red-browed Treecreeper families as seem to be in this park, the place is full of them! I ended up spending a lot of time watching and photographing them as well as the White-throated Treecreepers. Treecreepers are great birds. Also here were: Bassian Thrush (in the unburnt patch), Crested Shrike-tit (2), Scarlet Robin, Southern Boobook, Varied Sittella, Greater Glider (2 animals which were relatively noisy), Sugar Glider (1), Dingo/Dog (heard). Banksia integrifolia around the Camping Area was providing nectar for lots of R.Wattlebirds, New Holland Honeyeaters, White-eared Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills in good numbers. In the sheltered foothills of the Cathedral Rock (impressive scenery up here) itself flowering Banksia integrifolia and Banksia spinulosa were providing nectar for large numbers of the above honeyeaters as well as Rainbow Lorikeets. Some interesting behaviour I observed here included a Red-browed Treecreeper having a poke around in a flower of B.integrifolia. Nectar or insects? I also watched a RBTreecreeper feeding on the ground in leaf litter. I watched and photographed a White-browed Scrubwren apparently feeding on the nectar of B.spinulosa.

Dangar's Lagoon (5 km S. Uralla, on the Walcha Rd)- 8/5/05. This lagoon is getting very dry with some wide expanses of dry mud. This is usually a reliable place for Great Crested Grebe and Blue-billed Duck but I couldn't see any. Overall bird numbers and diversity weren't high although there seemed to be quite a few A.Shoveler (which I didn't count). If anyone is passing through and has a telescope it could be worth looking for Painted Snipe.

Giro Forest Park (south of Nowendoc, on the Walcha- Gloucester Rd)- 8/5/05.Varied Sittella, Red-browed Treecreeper and a Brown Thornbill doing a short burst of fabulous mimicry that unfortunately I was not prepared for so no audio recording.

Pacific Highway (just north of Raymond Terrace)- 8/5/05. Pacific Baza (2).

Cheers

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Caledonia- Kagu, Crow Honeyeater, New Caledonian Grassbird