birding-aus

Autumn honeyeaters in Blue Mountains

Subject: Autumn honeyeaters in Blue Mountains
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:31:05 +1000
Hi all,

I haven't written much about the honeyeater migration this year. Here in Katoomba the flocks of Yellow-faced and White-naped have been flying through steadily on fine days but not in the huge numbers that mark some years and make it impossible to do anything else but stand outside and watch with awe. Nevertheless, there have been some interesting birds moving through with them, including Scarlet Honeyeaters on 17-18 April and Fuscous Honeyeater seen last Saturday and heard today. Crescent Honeyeaters have turned up in the flowering banksias along the escarpment. I've also seen small groups of Rainbow Lorikeets around Katoomba during the past week, which is quite unusual here and brings to mind the irruption of them we had in 2000.

On 22nd April while enjoying the almost-full moonlight on a night walk to Cahill's Lookout, I heard a Barn Owl calling in the Megalong Valley below.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba