birding-aus

WHALE/BIRD WATCHING TRIP NSW SOUTH COAST SUNDAY 8 MAY

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: WHALE/BIRD WATCHING TRIP NSW SOUTH COAST SUNDAY 8 MAY
From: "Jon Hall" <>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:16:12 +1000
This might be something to do en route from looking for the White Wagtail at
Mallacoota ...

A large congregation of Sperm Whales off Eden have been reported over the
past few weeks (some details of a recent trip are below from Pete
Constable). Many other species have also been seen including Pilot Whales,
False Killers, Orcas, Common and both Bottlenose Dolphin species.

I'm organising a day trip this Sunday to try to find some of these
animals.We've enough people for a smallish boat, but if I get a handful more
we can take out the much plusher "True Blue" for the day. The cost is going
to be around $100 for a full day (7am to 5pm or so) at sea.

I've no idea what the weather will be doing yet, which may throw a spanner
in the whale watching works (as it did this Sunday). But if we do go we'll
be spending most of our time on the edge of the continental shelf so there
should be a few interesting birds around too - maybe even a white wagtail.

Can you let me know ASAP if you are interested and I'll confirm the boat and
let you know more details.

If you could reply to me at work  it will speed things up
a bit

cheers

Jon Hall
ACT regional office
ABS

02 6207 0283 - phone
02 6207 0282 - fax

 Hi all,
 Pete has sent this improved email with added info.
 please ignore all previous emails as this one is correct

 The Data goes as such for the weekend. 23rd & 24th April 2005, 2 clear
 sunny days, millpond water conditions and a water temp of 19.5 - 21.8
 degrees. Ove r 100 Sperm whales estimated by observations of 2 fishing
 charter Boats from Freedom Charters out of Eden at 36:54-56 Sth -
 150:23-25
 East. A pod of 13 Killers at 37:09 Sth - 150:19 East (sighted by
Manfred
 on
 a fishing trip on Connemara) & a Pod of 6 Rissos at 36:48 Sth - 150:17
 sighted by Broadbill out of Merimbula.

 Tuesday 26th April, Departing Merimbula on Sea Eagle skippered by John
 Matterson on a very cloudy, but mild day with 1/2 meter swell & some
chop.
 The first encounter was 70 Commons dolphins at 36:54 Sth - 150:04 E in
 water temp of 19.7 followed by 2 False Killer Whales at 36:53 Sth -
150:11
 E. Next came approx 50 Sperm Whales at 36:54 to 36:57 Sth - 150:22 to
 150:24 E. Water Temp 21.8. The group from Maquarie Uni took 19 core
 samples
 from the Commons & 21 samples from the Sperm Whales for DNA testing. It
 was
 interesting working with a very professional outfit even if my phone
drove
 them mad whilst trying to l iase with Dave Donnelly to organise a trip
for
 the next day. The animals were logging in singles & upwards to groups
of
 12. An excellent day thanks Merimbula Marina, Matto & the group from
 Maquarie Uni.

 Wednesday 27th April, a group of 11 people, including Jenny Robb,
Kelvin
 Aitken, John Ford, Chris Lekos & Bronwyn ? Jason Edwards (who stood up
for
 some of the trip) Lyn & Alan Scrymingeour, Gary & Collette? & myself
 chartered 'Connemara' of Freedom Charters out of Eden, skippered by
 Manfred
 & crewed by Rosie Smith. We went out of Twofold Bay & came across 30
plus
 Common Dolphins at 37:04 Sth - 150:00 E. Shortly after we sighted 3
Rissos
 Dolphins at 35:53 Sth - 150:12 E Water temp 21.8. We proceeded to the
 Northern most point where the large pod of Sperm Whales that had been
 sighted over the last 5 weeks, had been seen. Turning due South, we
then
 proceeded till we came across a lone Minke whale. A good but breif
 sighting
 at 36:55 Sth - 150:24 E. 12 miles later, we found the pod of
approximately
 50 Sperm Whales at 37:02 to 37:30 Sth - 150:24 to 150:25. What started
as
 calm but very cloudy day, turned into the most beautiful day on earth
 reveal a very placid initial pod of 14 Sperm whales. These animals
 absolutely wowed everyone with spyhopping, spouting, lunging, rolling,
 tails etc. It was probably the most exquisite couple of minutes I have
 ever
 had with Whales, in my 9 years of filming Cetaceans. We had 3 hours
with
 various sized groups of the 50 odd whales, up till a perfect sunset
scene,
 leaving 15 minutes prior to total sunset towards home where we came
across
 a large group in excess of 80 Common Dolphins. Spectacular shots taken
by
 3
 professional stills photographers on board should reveal some great
photos
 for the days activities. The atmosphere on the boat was very high & all
on
 board were treated to a brilliant day on The Sapph ire Coast, which is
 fast
 becoming the Cetacean Mecca of Australia. 4 species in one day. Well
done
 Freedom Charters, Manfred, Rosie & John.
 Cheers PC

ABS Web Site:  www.abs.gov.au