birding-aus

TASSIE TRIP REPORT April ?05

Subject: TASSIE TRIP REPORT April ?05
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 18:46:33 +1000
TASSIE TRIP REPORT April ?05

I have recently returned from a two week tour of Tassie with my partner
Janet. The serious birding component of this trip was to find the 3 endemic
subspecies that I missed in September 04 (see my report posted on 14-12-04).

We took our car on the Spirit of Tasmania from Melbourne and did 2,800k?s
travelling anticlockwise.
The weather was better than expected, it rained a few nights and for most
of one day. We camped most of the time.

We recorded 100 species including 13 not seen by me in Tassie before.
However the birding was incidental except for searching for the 3 targets
and I had to visit Peter Murrell Reserve to see the Forty-spotted
Pardalote. All the Tassie endemic species were seen. The birding results
are summarised below.

TARGETS
Lewins Rail ?brachipus?                 seen at Raminea in tidal section of the
Esperance
River.
                                        Also heard at tidal section of
D?Entrecasteaux River  at the north
end of Recherche Bay.

Azure Kingfisher ?diemenensis?          seen at main road bridge over Montagu
River. This was after searching 3 other recommended sites. It was also not
seen on the                                     Pieman River Cruise.

Tawny-crowned Honeyeater ?chelidonia?   seen on Bluff Hill Point road 1.3k
west of main road. Also seen at ?Edge of the World? at Arthur River mouth.

OTHER INTERESTING SIGHTINGS

Duck, Musk ? Meadowbank Lake, Orielton Lake
Penguin, Little- Ocean Beach at Strahan (beachwashed)
Sparrowhawk, Collared - Somerset
Godwit, Bar-tailed ? Moulting Lagoon
Plover, Red-capped- Ocean Beach at Strahan
Plover, Double-banded- Ocean Beach at Strahan
Tern, Caspian- Leprena Track s of D?Entrecasteaux River mouth ? seen
catching 150mm fish
Rosella, Eastern ? roadside n of Coles Bay; Bass Hwy w of Deloraine
Parrot, Ground - Ocean Beach Rd 0.5k w of Strahan Airport
Pardalote, Forty-spotted - Peter Murrell Res
Scrubtit-Nelson Falls Walk; Styx Valley; Leprena Track s of D?Entrecasteaux
River mouth
Robin, Dusky ? Somerset; Peter Murrell Reserve
Whistler, Olive ? Table Cape Lookout; Lake St Clair NP; Cockle Creek on
South Cape Bay walk
Woodswallow, Dusky - Table Cape
Firetail, Beautiful ? Narawntapu NP
Martin, Tree - Table Cape
Grassbird, Little ? Somerset; Table Cape
Thrush, Bassian- Lake St Clair NP: Mt Field NP; Cockle Creek; Leprena Track
s of D?Entrecasteaux River mouth

Regards

Frank Pierce

FULL TRIP LIST