birding-aus

White-winged Black Terns in breeding plumage, Noosa, Qld

Subject: White-winged Black Terns in breeding plumage, Noosa, Qld
From: jdening <>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:55:09 +1000
Hi Peter,

Raised in humour, your comment hits a cord with me, as I try to understand how
migratory terns use the Sunshine Coast. Sure the Victorian birds may be in the
Noosa flock :-), but interestingly, White-wings and other migratory terns
abandoned Caloundra, only around 50km to the south of Noosa, several weeks ago.
I have seen this happen year after year, and now am turning my attention to the
other local estuaries to try to understand why they continue to be present
close by so long after leaving Caloundra. I suspect that it is tied to fish
migration, but am still chasing fish information.

cheers,

Jill

----  wrote:
> HI Jill,

There were about 60 or so at the WTP at Werribee Victoria over the past

month. About 20 of them where in breeding or near breeding plumage. A

spectacular bird!

I'm not sure if they have been sighted there this week or not, but perhaps

they have flown up to join the group at Noose?

Cheers,

Peter