birding-aus

Mystery of the Kooroodook]

To: <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Mystery of the Kooroodook]
From: "David Cameron" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:44:49 +1000
Hi Folks,

Sue Wesson's report can be found here: http://www.vaclang.org.au/ff.pdf

Cheers,

Dave Cameron
Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Michael Todd
Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 3:37 PM
To: birding-aus

Hello Cheryl and others,

I used to live out at Griffith and am reasonably familiar with the
Carrathool Shire although I have to admit that I hadn't looked twice at
the logo.

David Egan, National Parks ranger from the Griffith office, had a bit of
a look around for me and found the following:

There's a report that was on the Vic DNRE website called:   Wesson, S.
(2001) Aboriginal flora and fauna names of Victoria: As extracted from
earlysurveyors' reports. Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages,
Melbourne.

In the end of that report she provides a list of names and their origin.
In that list  it refers to Carrathool as an anglicised version of
Cooradook, which is interpreted as the 'native companion' (ie. brolga)
in Wiradjuri. This seems to be a logical explanation for the name of the
shire and the emblem.

This seems logical to me also.

Cheers

Mick

Michael Todd
Wildlifing
Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Caledonia- Kagu, Crow Honeyeater, New Caledonian
Grassbird
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia
04101 23715