birding-aus

Feral Ducks at Darebin Parklands (Vic)

To: "" <>
Subject: Feral Ducks at Darebin Parklands (Vic)
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:54:36 +1000
I believe all feral species should recorded and information passed on.
Knowledge is power.

On my last visit to Darebin Parklands, (Ivanhoe and Alphington) I was
puzzled by some very peculiar small ducks which appeared to be young
Chestnut Teal with dilute or pied colouring - either pale buffy coloured
or with white patches on a traditional Chestnut Teal basis.

The explanation was readily found in a number of domestic Mallard-type
birds on the ponds, mostly buff-coloured Khaki Campbell and common white
forms, but also a wild-colured bird, probably of Rouennais origin. Far
too many of them were drakes.

Problem: how can they be removed to prevent further loss of the true
wild type of both Black Duck and Chestnut Teal, without furious outcry
against cruelty and 'racial discrimination' from the general public?
(there are people around who actually believe that Mallards will
'improve the stock' by producing 'prettier' offspring).
  I suppose the hybrid Teal ought to be removed as well as their
fathers, even though it seems rather hard on them.

Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe (Vic.)