birding-aus

Werribee Sewage on ANZAC

To: "" <>
Subject: Werribee Sewage on ANZAC
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:06:01 +1000
Hi all,

I was down at Werribee some time ago and had one of those drive by encounters
that makes one turn the car for a second look.

Down by the Conservation Ponds I thought I saw an Osprey so, did the turn around
thing and went back. The bird, as they always do, was leaving and I did not get
good second look. As Osprey seemed so unlikely I wrote it off as a young Sea
Eagle. I was not comfortable with the SE option as I had seen strong pale - dark
contrasting on the head and a pale belly.

I did settle on a young SE though as I have seen them in the same spot before
and, the likelyhood of an Osprey going undetected at Werribee is just too
unbelievable.

But, in my mind, its markings were Ospreyish enough to make it either a scruffy
Osprey or a young and deceitful Sea-Eagle.

regards

Jen