birding-aus

Southern Boobook

To: <>
Subject: Southern Boobook
From: "Wynton" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:23:15 +0800
Hi All,

On 19 April at Peaceful Bay on the lower sw coast of WA I observed a Southern Boobook that appeared to be dead or close to death.It was being harassed by Australian Ravens and Australian Magpies and was about seven metres above the ground in a Peppermint Tree.

Its wings were outstretched and as its talons were curled up and hanging in the air, the wings were holding the owl in the tree. Its eyes were closed and it was motionless, although my sister thought she saw one of its wings move. As the owl appeared to be dead, the ravens and magpies soon lost interest and left the area.Convinced it was dead, I planned to return later in the day with a long pole to remove it from the tree and inspect it.

Imagine my surprise when upon returning the owl was in a perfectly normal roosting upright stance and was peering down at me with perfectly working eyes! I returned again about 30 minutes after sunset and it had left the tree and was not seen in the tree on the following day.

It appears this was a deliberate tactic (ie to feign death) to stop the harassing ravens and magpies. I have never witnessed such behaviour and was wondering if any other readers have witnessed similar behaviour.

Best Regards
Wynton Maddeford