birding-aus

Mangrove Gerygone on fresh water

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mangrove Gerygone on fresh water
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:06:03 +1000
Our group had a wonderful day's birding yesterday on a commercial orchard -
104 species for the day, including 8 different raptors.   It is a large site
which fronts on to a sea passage, has many large dams, and goes inland for a
couple of kilometres.   We have been going there occasionally for fifteen
years, and every time we go, we find Mangrove Gerygones - not on the sea
front, but on the fresh water dams in Melaleuca quinquenervia in several
sites up to a couple of kilometres from the sea!   They nest in the
Melaleucas as well.

Is this something that happens regularly elsewhere, or is this an unusual
situation?

Incidentally, the orchard is maybe 70 kilometres north of Brisbane, and we
also found 1 only Diamond Firetail also.   We get some strange birds when
there is inland drought and wondered if the Firetail is a result of drought
or an escapee.

Cheers

Robyn