birding-aus

Portland DSE out of control again.

To: <>
Subject: Portland DSE out of control again.
From: "Rob Farnes" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:30:41 +1000
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their imput and especially those who e-mailed me and gave advice on the so called fuel reduction burning. Letters have gone to local papers and Government Departments.
Yesterday 9/4 another fuel reduction burn got away in Dunmore State Forest devasted the area and closed the Princess H/way. One can only guess at the wildlife destruction here.  The burn was carried out during the week and then with the total fire ban day yesterday re-ignited.  Dunmore SF is on the southern end of Mt Eccles National Park (north east of Portland).
There is believe it or not another destructive side to these fires the DSE  bulldoze the large (so called dangerous trees) along the roadsides after these burns and there is also ample evidence that over zealous drivers drive in 50m or so to knock a big tree over, one that would not fall across the forest road.

These state forests have been subjected to over logging, woodchipping and ring barking aka ring culling or silviculture practices for 100 odd years.  In recent years we have campaigned to stop these practices and all have ceased. We now find that we are still losing the old growth (I forgot we don't have old growth forests here) if you like large hollow bearing trees that we fought to save through these insidious actions.

Rob Farnes