birding-aus

kimberley in the wet an update/crocodiles

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: kimberley in the wet an update/crocodiles
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:00:29 +0800

I live at Kupungarri/Mt Barnett along the Gibb River Rd and keep an eye on the birds around Mt Barnett and as far as Gibb River in the east and Imintji in the west. However still no rain in here so the wet has surely finished. The 'knockdown' rains haven't come so the grass is still 1 to 2m tall everywhere.

Last report I mentioned I had not seen any Zebra Finches either in the wet or dry. Well I still haven't seen any in the area I keep an eye on but yesterday I had to drive the 600+km drive round trip to Derby and back. 115km east of Derby I stopped at a little pool where many birds were drinking and an occasional Zebra Finch drank along with many many Long-tails and a few Pictorellas and Double-bars. Among the honeyeaters was a Grey-fronted also the first time I had seen this species in the Kimberley. When we lived at Lajamanu on the northern edge of the Tanami Desert Grey-fronted were abundant. The others ones drinking were Rufous-throated, Yellow-tinted, Brown and Banded. After discussions with Frank O'Connor the 'probable' Chestnut-backed Button-Quail I mentioned last time is now a probable Red-chested..

As I drove a fair bit of the road in the dark I flushed several of the night birds I mentioned in my earlier posting and in addition a Bush Stone-curlew.

The Gibb River Rd has been graded and is in top condition but there are still some shallow floodways to negotiate. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a crocodile in the shallow water in the middle of the road. I photographed it. I don't imagine anyone else has photographed a croc in the middle of the Gibb River Rd before even if it is a baby one.

Don Hadden

Don and Llane Hadden P O Box 7123
Lismore Heights
NSW 2480
AUSTRALIA
m("clear.net.nz","hadden");" target=_blank>
tel: +61 8 91917826
Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?