birding-aus

Bronzewings in SE Melbourne (and BB Rail)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bronzewings in SE Melbourne (and BB Rail)
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:04:54 +1000
Hi all

Over the last few days there have been 10-15 Common Bronzewings in a small area of Sandringham - not bushland reserves.

We are trying to make a case for vegetation management to the Council and industrialists so I would like to know about recent records of the species in SE Melbourne.

Back in 1992 Damien Cook said Cheltenham Park was a prime site (with 10+ seen together) but I reckon they have now gone (poisoning of rabbits my best guess but also mulching of key areas).

We have records of a few at several regional sites, maximum of 5 at Yarra-Yarra Golf Course with others at Huntingdale, Braeside Park...

Please let me know about any other key sites in our area.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife

PS Buff-banded Rail by the Elster Creek just east of St Kilda Street twice in the last 2 weeks. After the bread ?