birding-aus

Grey Goshawk, Wedge-tailed Eagle in the garden and website update

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Grey Goshawk, Wedge-tailed Eagle in the garden and website update
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:28:00 +1000
Not on the same day, but only a couple of days apart.

Firstly, a Grey Goshawk landed in a tree right alongside my window, and
although I got a couple of photos they were really scrappy, just two quick
presses of the button on an unfocused camera that was pointing roughly in
the direction of the bird. Still, I kept them, which goes to show how much
I'm a birder first and a photographer second.

However, on Easter Sunday we found the same bird sitting quietly at the
other end of the garden and I had the opportunity to get some better shots.
My son Owen was visiting, and as I had neither monopod nor tripod with me,
he kindly volunteered himself as a bipod - the results can be seen at
www.abberton.org\birds2005.htm.

Some pics of a close encounter with a Wedge-tailed Eagle on Tuesday are on
the same page. Again, I saw the bird from my desk as it dropped to the
ground beneath a tree, so I took the camera and went off after it. Of course
it saw me coming, but I did get a couple of shots which captured a great
moment in the middle of an otherwise ordinary sort of day.

I put 61 new photos on the website last night. I'll try to get round to more
frequent small updates, rather than the present regime of mammoth updates at
intervals of a couple of months. It would make the whole thing more topical
too. Let's see.....

Anyway, things are up to date as at 31 March!

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at www.abberton.org