birding-aus

Black-necked Stork in Nth Victoria

To: "BirdingAus BirdingAus" <>
Subject: Black-necked Stork in Nth Victoria
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:34:56 +1000

Interesting second-hand report of a sighting of a Black-necked Stork in Northern Victoria.  A non-birding friend is staying on a property near Tungamah which is about 25kms South West of Yarrawonga.  In the last week or so, in a swampy patch on an adjacent property he saw several Brolga, which he knew well, and a “big black and white bird standing with them, at least as tall as or taller than the Brolga”.  He did not know what it was.  I note that the Atlas has no recording of Black-necked Stork in Victoria, while the field guides refer to it as “a rare vagrant”.  Is this a really rare sighting??  If it is worthwhile I can probably get a fairly accurate position and the date and time.

Bob Cook