birding-aus

Pied Butcherbirds in Sydney NSW

Subject: Pied Butcherbirds in Sydney NSW
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:35:25 +1000
Hello birdzoners,

Interesting point about the Pied Butcherbirds Alan, I've noticed them
more frequently around the Newcastle area over the last two years.
Spotted a pair in the Kotara area recently, but they're not
around/conspicuous for any length of time in any one place. This has
raised my curiousity about where they've been, and where they're going
if they're not resident.  I'm partly wondering what's known about their
usual range: are they particularly averse to more or less heavily
urbanised landscapes?

They sure sound beautiful though - absolute stunners in song - whatever
it is they're expressing.

So any musings on song, range habits I'm keen on.  Weirdly, thinking
about it, I've only ever seen Pied Butcherbirds on either electricity
wires or television aerials.  Used to see and hear numbers of them in
Brisbane a few years back - made for an uplifting, chiming early morning
from the hills of Taringa looking towards the city.  I've not really
noticed similar numbers around Newcastle/Lake Macquarie.

cheers

Craig Williams

>>> alan morris <> 03/29/05 3:56 PM >>>
Hi Birders,

Lorne's hearing of a  Pied Butcherbird at Ashbury, an almost inner
suburb in
western Sydney, is very unusual and if sighted would be a most unsusual
record. Up to 1991 there was only one record, in1968 but on 3/8/1991 an
adult was seen at Heathcote in Sydney's south. This record was referred
and accepted by NSWORAC as the second Sydney record. I don't think there

have been any subsequent records.

Alan Morris
Records Officer, Birding NSW