birding-aus

Sea watch from Maroubra, NSW - 28th March 2005

To: <>
Subject: Sea watch from Maroubra, NSW - 28th March 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:51:01 +1000

Today’s sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra (about 10km south of the Sydney CBD) still produced a good number of birds despite heading close to the end of the summer seabird season. The winds were moderate south to south-westerly and ahead of a gustier southerly front later in the evening (if only it had arrived earlier!).

However, again no unusual seabirds were seen on this occasion, but a distant all-dark Pterodroma species seen close to the horizon was most likely a Great-winged Petrel. We generally see more Pterodromas in winter rather than in the summer months from Magic Pt (last winter produced close to a thousand on very good day). We should soon see the return of Providence Petrels off our coast. Fewer Pomarine Jaegers were also seen on this occasion, though David Mitford may have just glimpsed a single Arctic Jaeger further down the coast.

The species and minimum numbers of sea birds seen from Magic Pt today were:

Fairy Penguin (1 heard calling below Magic Pt)

Great-winged Petrel (1)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (200)

Fleshy-footed Shearwater (3)

Short-tailed Shearwater (8)