birding-aus

Finchathon- 16th March

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Finchathon- 16th March
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:50:21 +1100 (EST)
Everyone,

Nick Livanos and I made our second attempt for the
year to see 9 species of finch in one day.

Our day started at Pitt Town Lagoon, near McGraths
Hill, where we quickly found European Goldfinch,
Red-browed Finch and Zebra Finch. It took us a while
but we finally had excellent views of Nutmeg Munia
(tick for both of us) and a fair sized flock of
immature Chestnut-breasted Munia, many with breast
bars just coming through. As we were leaving two
Double-bars flew in which gave us 6 species of finch
at Pitt Town alone.

Then it was up the mountains to Kings Tableland where
we found our seventh species, 3 Beautiful Firetail.
These birds are fairly tame, one flying within a metre
of Nick's right leg.

Then after a quick stop at Lithgow we headed up to the
Capertee Valley. Whilst eating lunch we heard then
found a brilliant Diamond Firetail, 8 down one to go.
A walk along Coco Creek produced more Double-bars and
Diamonds, and for Nick one male Plum-headed Finch,
which disappeared before I could see it. With steam
shooting from my ears we drove further down into the
valley. Seeing a Diamond sitting on a gate I stopped
the car and whilst looking at this bird a huge flock
of finches took off from the paddock behind, they were
Plum-heads and we estimated over a hundred birds. They
all lined up on an electrical wire allowing fantastic
views. Yay!!! 9 species of finch in one day and what a
way to end it.

Other highlights for the day included:

2 Square-tailed Kites at Windsor
Pink-eared Duck at Pitt Town
1 Crested Shrike-tit at Pitt Town
White-browed Babbler, Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin
and other woodland species at Capertee Valley

Final finch count (my estimates):

European Goldfinch (10+)
Red-browed Finch (15+)
Zebra Finch (4)