birding-aus

Violet Town - new birds for our list.

To: "birding-aus" <>, "David Geering" <>
Subject: Violet Town - new birds for our list.
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 05 23:20:18 +1100
Hi David and others,
Today  I finally went to find a 'Noisy Friarbird' in our garden.  I thought
that I had heard one calling several times recently (28/2 & 8,9,10 &11/3) but
had not looked for or seen one.  I was very surprised to discover that, today
anyway, I had been listening to a Regent Honeyeater, which was calling from
high in a lemon-scented gum.  I will certainly check out any other 'Noisy
Friabirds' calls.

I watched it for about 30 seconds as it was being harassed by a group of
White-plumed H/es before it flew off.  I followed its call but it became silent
and I did not see it again, in spite of searching for about half an hour.

When I returned back to the house, Roberta was able to tell me that while I was
away she had had wonderful views as it 'cackled' in an ironbark which has a few
blossoms for about ten minutes and again when it went back to the gum, where it
'sounded like a chook' for a few more minutes before flying off.  In both these
places the bird had no apparent interaction with other birds so the calls
didn't appear to be 'agression'.

We have only seen Regents on one other occasion, at Chiltern a few years ago,
and don't remember hearing any calsl. Is this cackling call a common occurence?
 We did not hear any other calls.

More surprising was an Azure Kingfisher which crashed into our kitchen window
on March 8 - it recovered and flew away after half a minute or so on the
ground.  Lucky we looked really as we had had several Crimson Rosellas hitting
the windows that week and assumed that it was another one of them.

Barry

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         03 57981213
         0418 584433