birding-aus

Shark Bay Walks

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: Shark Bay Walks
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:28:11 +0800

Is there anyone interested in leading bird walks at Shark Bay during the April school holidays from 9th to 22nd on behalf of Birds Australia WA and CALM? We usually look for 2 people per week (but one person can manage), with different people for each week (but you can do both weeks if you wish). (i.e. 9th to 17th and 16th to 22nd). Birds Australia WA has some money to contribute towards travel costs, and CALM provides accommodation at the Peron Homestead for the week. You would lead six morning 8am walks at Monkey Mia during the week, and three late afternoon 5pm walks at the Peron Homestead. There are usually 3 to 10 people who attend the walks. We provide binoculars for the members of the public.

The birding is excellent. Thick-billed Grasswren, Southern Scrub-robin, Chiming Wedgebill, White-browed Babbler, Malleefowl, White-winged Fairy-wren, etc. Black-eared Cuckoo, Pied Honeyeater, Hooded Robin, Red-capped Robin, Rufous Fieldwren, White-backed Swallow are other good birds that may be seen.

Other opportunities include the afternoon cruise in the bay to look for Dugong (discount rates for CALM volunteers), and the possibility of helping CALM with surveys for Woma Pythons, Bilbies, etc.

I was hoping to lead the walks for one of the weeks, but I will be away in Albany right in the middle. If you are interested, then please contact me as soon as possible and I will put you in contact with Brice Wells the organiser.