birding-aus

Summer migrants and Bonbah Point Eco Cottages

Subject: Summer migrants and Bonbah Point Eco Cottages
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:53:14 +1100
Last weekend my wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary by
visiting Bombah Point Eco Cottages adjoining Myall Lakes NP east of
Bulahdelah (lower north coast of NSW). A great spot with fantastic cottages
set in a bush setting. Plenty of walks to do, but we were generally pretty
lazy and only did a couple of short ones.

Some of the summer migrants still about were:
Pacific Koel 5/3 ? a single male flew across the road just north of Alfords
Point bridge in southern Sydney.
Dollarbird 5/3 ? a single bird seen just north of the Hexham bridge (Hunter
valley)
Swifts 5/3 ? a large flock of mainly WTNT (though at least one looked like a
FTS) present between Raymond Terrace and Grahamstown Reservoir. Both species
were also seen at Bombah Point as a southerly front passed through.
White-throated Nightjar 6/3 ? Bombah Point
Cicadabird 7/3 ? Bombah Point
A White-throated Gerygone was possibly heard on the 6th, but this was not
confirmed

The bird list for Bombah Point, with the date first recorded, follows:

Masked Lapwing  5/3
Peaceful Dove   5/3 ? 1 heard just after arriving and then not heard again
Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo    5/3
Glossy Black-cockatoo   7/3 ? At  least one heard calling early in the morning
Musk Lorikeet           5/3
Little Lorikeet         6/3 ? 4 flew over on the southern edge of the property
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet         6/3
Rainbow Lorikeet                6/3
Fork-tailed Swift       5/3 ? 2 flew over just prior to the front coming through
White-throated Needletail       5/3 ? this species, plus possibly the previous
seen moving through with the change (far enough away to be invisible to the
naked eye)
White-throated Nightjar 6/3 ? heard both at dawn and just after dusk
Australian Owlet-nightjar       6/3
Powerful Owl    6/3 ? 1 heard in the distance to the south
Laughing Kookaburra     6/3
White-throated Treecreeper      5/3
Striated Thornbill      5/3
Brown Thornbill 5/3
Yellow Thornbill        5/3
Spotted Pardalote       5/3
Superb Fairy-wren       5/3
Yellow-faced Honeyeater 6/3
Lewin?s Honeyeater      5/3
White-naped Honeyeater  7/3
Noisy Miner     5/3
Noisy Friarbird 5/3
Red wattlebird  7/3
Scarlet Honeyeater      6/3
Eastern Yellow Robin    5/3
Rufous Whistler 6/3
Golden Whistler 5/3
Grey Shrike-thrush      6/3
Willie Wagtail  5/3 ? Heard from the cottage
Grey Fantail    5/3
Varied Sittella 6/3
Australian Magpie       7/3
Pied Butcherbird        7/3
Grey Butcherbird        5/3
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike       7/3
Cicadabird      7/3
Satin Bowerbird 7/3
Australian Raven        5/3
Mistletoebird   5/3
Silvereye       6/3
Red-browed Finch        5/3

Additional species recorded near Korsman?s Landing 6/3 (Myall Lakes to the
east of Bombah Point Eco-Lodges):
Pacific Black Duck
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
Brown-headed Honeyeater ? heard in a mixed feeding flock

I also thought I heard Bar-shouldered Dove, Dollarbird and Forest Raven
(this one at Korsman?s Landing) but didn?t get enough of a call to confirm
ID.