birding-aus

inheritances and local Brisbane birds

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: inheritances and local Brisbane birds
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:22:44 +1000
That lucky bloody Bill Birding-aus (formerly known as Stint, sorry Stent)!!!

It appears that another rich rellie has carked it and he is in for oodles
more money according to the nice gentleman from Apex Consultants.

In similar vein at 12.15 am today my fax rang (in the office close to our
bedroom) and I received two messages promising untold wealth if I could help
out some people from the middle east.

Birds  -  Our local birds are performing well despite a hot dry spell here
in Brisbane.  I had a pair of Bush-hens along the creek at the back of our
place a couple of days ago (we are 6 km from the city centre).  Our Sacred
Kingfishers are still here but the Channel-billed Cuckoos have left.

In early February I was doing some bird surveys along the Burnett River
about 50 Km from Gayndah in Queensland (about 300 km from Brisbane) when I
checked out a large heavily fruiting Moreton Bay fig tree for birds.  At
least 70 (yes 70) Channel-billed Cuckoos flew out of the tree over a period
of about a minute as I approached.  There were also many Figbirds, some
Pale-headed Rosellas and Rainbow Lorikeets and a few Pied Currawongs in the
same tree.

There are still some Dollarbirds and Koels about here in Brisbane at the
moment.  We have about half a dozen Brush-turkeys in our yard each day
ranging from very young chicks through to adults.  It appears that Striated
Pardalotes are on the move already as we saw about 15  together out the back
a few days ago.  We usually have a half a dozen resident nearby.  In January
we had our first yard Peregrine Falcon and a day or so later we had a
White-throated Nightjar hawking close to our back deck.

Cheers

Roy
www.birdingservices.com.au